Unpacking the Northwestern Supplemental Essay 2019-2020
September 24, 2019
Unpacking the Northwestern Supplemental Essay 2019-2020
Known for its highly specialized colleges, Northwestern University attracts students from all over the world who wish to study a multitude of disciplines, from communications to engineering. When you apply to this Evanston, Illinois school through the Common Application, you have to select one of the six undergraduate colleges within the university as your primary institution:?
- The Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences?
- The School of Communication?
- The McCormick School of Engineering & Applied Science
- The School of Education & Social Policy
- Bienen School of Music
- The Medill School of Journalism
While the prompt remains the same for all the schools, make sure to research what makes each of them special before making the decision to apply to the college of your choice.?
Whether you’re applying to the Medill School of Journalism or the Bienen School of Music, putting your best foot forward in the Northwestern supplemental essay 2019-2020 is a highly effective way to emphasize your interest in the university. Use your response to outline specific Northwestern resources which fit your current interests and future aspirations. To guide you through the process, I’ve outlined the prompt, the dos and don’ts for answering it, and more tips to help you tackle the Northwestern supplemental essay 2019-2020.
Download Every Supplemental Prompt Here!
Prompt for the Northwestern Supplemental Essay 2019-2020
Other parts of your application give us a sense for how you might contribute to Northwestern. But we also want to consider how Northwestern will contribute to your interests and goals. In 300 words or less, help us understand what aspects of Northwestern appeal most to you, and how you'll make use of specific resources and opportunities here.
Admissions officers have learned about your interests and goals from other parts of your application, and they already personally know what features make Northwestern a great school. The Northwestern supplemental essay 2019-2020 asks that you combine those two components to answer how the unique resources at Northwestern University will be beneficial to the way you hope to grow and achieve your goals. The key to any “why this school” essay is to spend a big chunk of your time researching the college.?
You might notice on the website that Northwestern asks some questions to help you get an idea of what they’re looking for in applications. Some questions you can ask yourself before trying to articulate how you’re a suitable fit for the school are:
- What topics are you excited to explore? What kinds of questions drive you forward?
- What role(s) have you played in the communities around you? What impact have you had ? How have these communities shaped you?
- What achievements are you proud of?
- What types of involvement have been the most meaningful to you? Why?
Once you’ve figured out your areas of interest and strengths, it’s time to connect the dots to Northwestern.
Start with academics - what is your prospective major and how does the program at Northwestern suit your career plan more than any other top school? How have your specific experiences prepared you for a Northwestern education? Which courses can help you achieve your goals? Are there any research opportunities or study abroad programs that can enhance your ten-year plan? Anecdotes that vouch for your commitment to the discipline are important for your Northwestern supplemental essay 2019-2020. Follow the classic “show not tell” advice and discuss instances which demonstrate that you are not just dedicated to the field on paper.
Make sure to leave at least 120 words for which extracurriculars appeal to you. Since there isn’t room to rehash your activities list, focus on organizations at Northwestern which align with your interests. Showcase your enthusiasm for opportunities that await you outside the classroom with fellow Wildcats. The more specific to Northwestern your essay, the better admissions officers can understand that you’re a strong fit for the school and how you would contribute to the community.?
Additional Tips to Write the Northwestern Supplemental Essay 2019-2020
- Think About the Northwestern College of Your Choice - Before you sit down to write your Northwestern supplemental essay 2019-2020, you should think carefully about the specialized college you’ll apply to and tailor your essay to highlight unique program offerings at that particular school. Even though you are allowed to take classes across the different schools, your essay needs to be as specific as possible to your primary field. If you’re applying to the School of Engineering, don’t rave about classes in the School of Communication!
- Remember to Connect Your Answers to Yourself - While it’s pretty easy to fill up a page with everything appealing about Northwestern, remember that the Northwestern supplemental essay 2019-2020 is designed to get to know you. Your answer to the question does not have to be extremely deep or existential if such a theme has no relevance to you. You need to write a 300-word essay that will help make you memorable - avoid writing about cliché features that have a hundred other essays and brochures about them.
- Don’t Repeat What You’ve Written for Other Components - Remember that admissions officers have already seen your activities list and your personal statement through the Common App. It’s important that you cover an entirely different experience in your supplemental essay and not repeat the same reasons why you want to pursue a certain major or career. Admissions officers don’t want to read about the same thing over and over again, so you need to focus on adding new information and showcasing the depth of your knowledge about Northwestern.?
Northwestern University wants to know that you’re not just applying to the school on a whim. Taking advantage of the Northwestern supplemental essay 2019-2020 to show how the school’s resources can benefit your goals is the perfect way to convey to admissions officers that you have made an informed decision. Get started on your research as soon as possible. Good luck!?